Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom, boxer, foodie


Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom, boxer, foodie


My earliest food experience I Rice with tender maize.  


My favourite recipe 
 I love Manipuri cuisine. My favourite is nga atoiba thongba, which is a Manipuri style mashed fish curry.  

When away from home, I miss... I My children and of course my kitchen, that stores my all-time favourites.  

What do I like cooking for my family? I I love experimenting so whenever I come across a new recipe abroad, I try to make it at home for my family because I want them to taste it.
 

When I am on a tour... I I eat a lot, mostly Chinese food.
 

The best meal I have ever had
I
That’s impossible to answer. I have been fortunate enough to travel widely and stay at some great hotels and have had lots of meals that I have enjoyed. However, the best food is always at home.
 

My favourite cuisine I I love Chinese food.
 

I have a sweet tooth for I I don’t really have a sweet tooth.
 

I learned to cook from... I My mother.  

My favourite food companion I My husband and friends  

A favourite from my mom’s kitchen I A collection of spices from her own kitchen garden; garlic, ginger, turmeric and some other indigenous spices… That’s what makes a good meal.
 

Does being a sportsperson mean you can’t eat what you like? I No, it does not. But you definitely have to eat healthy.  

One country that serves heavenly food I China.


Mary Kom’s Nga atoiba thongba


INGREDIENTS I Rohu: 750 gm I Onion:150 gm I Garlic: 20 gm I Ginger: 20 gm I Fresh green peas (shelled): 80 gm I Tomato - diced into cubes: 200 gm I Potato - diced into cubes:150 gm I Red chilli powder:10 gm I Coriander powder:15 gm I Cumin powder: 5 gm I Mustard oil (for cooking):150 ml I Turmeric powder:10 gm I Salt: To taste I Fresh coriander leaves  
 
METHOD I Smear the fish with turmeric powder and keep aside. I Grind onion, ginger and garlic and make a thick paste with the spices. I Heat mustard oil in a pan. Put the onion-ginger-garlic paste in. Fry till the oil separates. Make sure to stir at regular intervals so that it doesn’t burn. IPut in the pieces of fish and mix well. Cook until the water released by the fish dries out. I Now add peas, diced tomatoes, potatoes, water and salt. Cover and simmer until the potato is done. Mash the potato and fish with the back of the spatula (leave some un-mashed for a more interesting texture). Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves along with steamed rice. 

Recipe by Chutney, Bar + Tandoor, The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa, New Delhi

Manipuri style mashed fish curry

No comments: