Sunday, August 26, 2012

Food of the food gods When away from home, which restaurants do Indian chefs visit?

Food of the food gods
When away from home, which restaurants do Indian chefs visit?

Five celebrity chefs who globetrot as seekers of world cuisine, list their favourite places to dine:

Sanjeev Kapoor, founder, FoodFood
 I don’t eat out much in Mumbai, yet when I’m travelling abroad, I have a favourite restaurant for each city. My current favourite restaurant is a Japanese eatery in New York — Megu. With over 15,000 square feet of sheer spaciousness, it is modern in its approach to décor and food. I’m travelling to New York soon and am already thinking of sampling the assorted sushi and sashimi there that’s hard to beat. The tuna tartare with its finely chopped raw tuna manages to tantalise me every time. I also love the yellow tail carpaccio. I benchmarked it with Nobu, but found the food, service and ambience to be even more ‘wow’ here!

Hemant Oberoi, corporate grand chef, Taj Luxury Hotels

One of my favourites has been Per Se in New York. It’s the quality of the food that makes it especially appealing. Plus, the menu is different every time I have been there. The quality of cooking has been nearly perfect each time.

Nikhil Chib, chef and owner, Busaba
My all time favourite restaurant has to be Le Relais de Venise in Paris, which I stumbled upon by accident and where I’ve been at least 20 times since. It’s famous for its premium cut of beef for steak or entrecote, which is served with the most delicious sauce. Along with it, they serve a salad, French fries and house wine, which they then proceed to reinforce with a huge second helping for the most reasonable price in Paris. The only weird thing about the restaurant is that they don’t take pre-bookings and there’s always a crowd of people waiting for entry there. I went there first when I was 18 and have been taking my friends (including local Parisians) from all over the world ever since. It’s been a big hit with my friends as well.

Ananda Solomon, executive chef Vivaanta by Taj — President
I remember the first time I went to Le Cirque in New York was when I was travelling as part of the Indian Prime Minister’s delegation to the US. I discovered it accidentally while experimenting with New York’s restaurants along with friends. The food I had was cooked very close to the way it is cooked in France. The sauces, particularly, were outstanding in terms of technique. Though it’s been several years since I’ve had a meal there, I still remember the restaurant’s foie gras with apple sauce which was simply brilliant. The brick chicken was perfectly cooked and the memory of its sorbet and dessert is something that has stayed with me.

Vikas Bagul, executive pastry chef, the Oberoi hotels and resorts
Since I’m a pastry chef and chocolatier I’m usually on the lookout for exceptional pastry shops whenever I travel. I found two superb places in Paris – Pierre Marcolini and Pierre Herme – that were both high-end. Pierre Marcolini, which has all the trappings of luxury with its black and gold décor, has the best pralines that I’ve eaten. The handmade chocolates here use the finest cocoa powder that I’ve encountered. Pierre Herme, on the other hand sports a more colourful orange, white and pink décor and stocks superb macaroons. This French biscuit made with almond flour and egg-white simply melts in the mouth while the shell remains crisp.

No comments: