Saturday, January 5, 2013

Taste of India In this column, Mikhail Shahani will be reviewing some Mumbai restaurants for five weeks. This week, he was at Pali Bhavan, Bandra.

Taste of India
In this column, Mikhail Shahani will be reviewing some Mumbai restaurants for five weeks. This week, he was at Pali Bhavan, Bandra.

You are greeted with a rustic, old-world charm with low-keyed lighting and photo frames tastefully hung on the walls. The wooden doors and candlelight further strengthens the feeling that you have stepped into a different era altogether. The food is great with good value for money and sits light on your tummy.
For starters, I had ordered the galouti kebab and that set the standards really high for the evening. The melt-in-your-mouth tender morsels of minced meat was one the best that I have ever had in Mumbai. The achaari paneer was a let-down as the flavour of the spices had not seeped into the paneer. Main course consisted of pink peppercorn prawn and lamb curry accompanied by naan and rotis. The prawns were fresh and well-cooked but I wish they had crushed the peppercorns so that the zingy peppery taste would have spread evenly. The lamb curry was delicious but the lamb a tad too rubbery for my taste. I could not help noticing that the rotis were undercooked in parts as well.
The margarita disappointment continued. I had ordered a classic and despite the bartender trying his hand the second time with 30 per cent extra tequila, he just could not get the mix right. But what amazed me was the quality of service as the waiters knew their dishes well and recommended them with a smile. I had my heart set on having the tandoori sweet potato as it is the season for it but unfortunately they could not serve it despite it figuring on the menu.
I went a bit overboard with the dessert and ordered the paan kulfi which I found intriguing and refreshing. The rasmalai was not up to the mark but the mishti doi more than made up for it. Overall with the great ambiance and friendly service, I had a nice experience.






No comments: