Monday, November 2, 2015

how you can lead a vegan way of life

IT'S WORLD VEGAN DAY TODAY - 
 
Here's how you can lead a vegan way of life



The concept of veganism is not new. Apart from being completely vegetarian, with no meat, fish or poultry, vegan food is also free from dairy products, gluten, preservatives, extra additives, honey, processed sugar and processed salt.Those practising veganism thus opt for fruits, vegetables, plenty of leafy greens, whole grain products, nuts, oats, seeds, and legumes, all preferably organic. While internationally there are fully vegan hotels and soon to be started vegan culinary course in Miami, the trend is gaining popularity in India too with a vegan education centre in Indore and a vegan fest happening in Pune.

GETTING STARTED

Here in Mumbai, for vegans, there are quite a few restaurants with vegan food items listed on the menu, and special caterers and bakers who cater to vegan cuisine and daily tiffins too. Cooking classes for those interested in learning vegan gourmet cuisine are easily available and has provided people with more options.
Neha Chopra a documentary film editor from Thane, says the decision came after she introduced her infant on a vegan diet, “When I had to start my daughter Noor on outside milk I checked out various options but none were satisfactory and that's when I came across a course on making vegan smoothies without milk which got me started. She is now two years old and we both are on a fully vegan diet. The change has given me positive results including weight loss. My acidity has reduced and even my acne problem is in control. For our birthdays I even got vegan cakes specially made for us.“
For single woman Suvarna Shelke, it is a bit difficult fielding questions about how she will manage with her veganism once she is married and has a child, “We give so much importance to milk and milk products and non vegetarian food in our diet, that sometimes it becomes annoying but I try to convince everyone that it is my choice, my belief and my contribution to the society .I turned to veganism when I visited a PETA site and witnessed the cruelty caused to animals. I decided to take a step to avoid harming any animal to lead a healthy life. I also cook vegan dishes like vegan kheer, vegan cheese, vegan gulab jamuns and have no cravings for non-vegan ood at all.“

IT'S EASY TO GO VEGAN

Some coffee shops now have a soya milk option for everything on their menu.
Buy organic food items from the various stores from where you can also order online.
Try the mock meats available.
You can find cafes serving an all vegan menu sandwiches, pizzas, soups and breads and even desserts like vegan carrot cake and tiramisu.
Buy ingredients like vegan chocolate, vegan curd, vegan milk and vegan butter from various supermarkets.
Healthy vegan catering services which also provide daily vegan tiffin services in the city.
If you have the space, plan your own terrace garden. There are terrace farming workshops happening in the city to guide you to do it the right way .




No comments: